Wednesday 23 February 2011

The Sea of Abaco

February 18 to 22
We left Great Sale Cay first thing in the morning on the 18th.  It was a very calm lake in the Sea of Abaco so we motored the entire day.  As the sun was setting we were making the final approach to Great Guyana Cay which requires a brief journey into the Ocean around Whale Cay.  I was a bit freaked out as sailing at night in the Bahamas is a no no but with the safe passage displayed on the chart plotter I was able to get us to the anchorage in the last of the light.  A celebratory beer and a grilled cheese is about all we could manage.
Marsh Harbour is a place one could get stuck.  There are an abundance of boaters so the bars do well.  The dinghy dock is safe and there are plenty of hardware stores.  The liquor store is blessedly close to the dinghy dock so it was no problem for Jack (my back again) to carry a $50 case of a great beverage called Kalik Gold Extra Strength down to the dinghy.
We sailed the short distance to Hopetown harbour.  One of the most picturesque spots in the Bahamas with colorful little houses overlooking the pink beach and a candy striped lighthouse scanning the night sky.
I have an odd relationship with the wind.  I'm always happy to be out of it which isn't good for a sailor.  It may be hereditary.  My brother inlaw, Kelly, told me of a visit with my Mom and Dad in VA at a time they had a small sailboat.  Kelly and Caroline were anxious to get out on the Chesapeake Bay when they got there.  Dad says "too much wind".  Kelly thought okay its his boat so we'll do something else.  The next time they inquired Dad says, "not enough wind".  Kelly thought, when it is windy you can't sail and when it is not windy you can't sail, so what is the point of having a sailboat?
I'm pulling the same stuff with Jack I think.  If it weren't for the fuel cost I would happpily motor in dead calms from place to place.   Tonight we are sailing to Nassau overnite so we arrive in good light.  We have a fair forcast with what I hope is just the right amount of wind.

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Jim,
    I am so grateful you are keeping this blog!! Its so fascinating... Jason and I read it out loud to each other :) We love living vicariously through your exciting travels. You're an inspiration to pursuing your dreams!

    ReplyDelete